Private Investigators – Not Just for Cheaters Anymore - Charlotte NC Family Law & Divorce Blog | Hatcher Law Group

Family Law Blog


Private Investigators – Not Just for Cheaters Anymore

posted on

Christine M. Melvin Divorce & Family Law Attorney


Using a private investigator (P.I.) can be a smart move for your divorce case depending on the issues. People often think of hiring a private investigator to track their husband or wife when they believe there is infidelity. However, people often forget about the other possible uses for private investigators. For example, we have used P.I.s in child custody cases. If one parent has an issue with alcohol, a P.I. can track that person to and from a bar, watch the person drinking in the bar, record their driving habits after leaving the bar, and later testify about these details. In equitable distribution cases, a private investigator can help gather information regarding the location of assets such as a boat or vehicle.

In cases where alimony has already been ordered, a P.I. can help you prove cohabitation by your former spouse thus terminating your alimony obligations. The P.I. can regularly check a house every night to document the same vehicle in the driveway late at night and early in the morning, which can be used as evidence of cohabitation. The benefit to you is there is no danger that you will be caught trying to gather this information. A P.I. can also be used to prove a spouse is physically able to work. If your spouse claims back problems prevent him or her from working, a P.I. can follow that person and record them golfing, working in the yard, or lifting heavy items from their car.

Don’t underestimate the possible assignments you can give your P.I. Most of them are open to more than just cheating spouse cases.


Chrissy Melvin represents clients in family law litigation and mediation. She handles a variety of matters including divorce, property distribution, domestic violence and child custody and child support. She also handles property and relationship agreements for same-sex or unmarried couples as well as parenting agreements for people in alternative family arrangements.

| Categories: Practice Areas | Tags: | Return
Search the Blog